Friday, October 06, 2006

I was NOT propositioned by Mark Foley

It has come to my attention of late that I have spent time in some pretty dangerous places in my life. Particularly dangerous it seems for heterosexual young men. As a child I was a catholic altar boy for a number of years. I was also a member of the Boy Scouts of America. And most recently it seems that I was in peril as a congressional employee in the year 2000 when on more than one occasion I attended events and had drinks with Congressman Mark Foley of Fla. The man previously referred to by congressional staffers as "the pink elephant." Now to be clear I was at events that the Congressman attended by chance and coincidence and not specifically to see Mr. Foley speak. Republican youth meetings or some such thing. The question that arises from these perilous situations is a simple one. Am I not pretty? I mean seriously if I could be in more situations that were likely to end in my being molested I can't imagine how, and yet... Nothing...

Now I don't wish to be molested (at least not by men, scoutmasters or elected officials) but I have to wonder if perhaps I wasn't molested in all these potentially dangerous situations because I was simply not an attractive young boy.

Oh the pain and the blow this is to my self esteem.

No comments: